Wednesday, February 15, 2006

update from the fat front

I had a very groovy, very artistic post for you today. It had all kind sof funky linguistic rhythms and turns of phrase. You would have liked it. Unfortunately, I deleted it before I got the chance to post it. So you'll have to settle with this.

The Fat Project is now on day 46. This morning I arrived at the gym, expecting to see Nate's ugly face, but instead I saw an empty waiting room and a gym full of stupid college kids. I waited a while longer, but he never showed. Apparently Nate needs a bit more beauty sleep than the rest of us, because he called later to apologize, claiming he'd "accidentally" slept in.

Sure, Nate. We all know what's going on.

content in the knowledge that I could move much faster on my own, I proceeded onward, setting up shop at a bench next to a tiny girl who was struggling under 5 pound hand weights.

"Don't laugh at me," she said, a little embarrased.

"Don't worry," I said as I pulled out the 25 pound hand weights to start bench presses. For those of you who don't know, if you're a guy, 25 pound hand weights should never enter into the conversation when discussing pectoral muscles. Never. She smiled at me and then strained to push her weights skyward.

Things went well this morning, although not as well as I'd hoped. I bumped up a lot of my weights this time around and, as such, was unable to meet the requisite number of repetitions on the later sets.

Look at me ... talking like I know what I'm doing.

_________________________________________

the funny thing about losing weight is that you never know where you're going to notice the signs. Sure, you have the big signs like moving down a notch on your belt or waking up one morning to discover that you are literally half the man you used to be. But the little things that happen along the way - those daily occurances that confirm your overall success - are strange.

For instnace, when I lost 120 pounds back in 2001 - 2003, I noticed it in my legs and my forearms. I'd stand in the shower and marvel at muscle definition I have never before seen. I'd run my hands through my hair (this was back when I had hair), and notices muscles in my forearm. One morning, early on, i remember putting on my jeans and thinking, "these feel a bit loose." It never occured to me until later that this was probably the first sign that I had lost weight.

This time around, I'm noticing it in my hands. The skin around my fingers droops a little and the little v-shaped indentation between the thumb and forefinger is a bit more pronounced every day. My knuckles stick out more; especially the Muhammad Ali knucke. I've also noticed my neck getting smaller. The large signs are still there. Don't get me wrong. I lift up my shirt and the skin roll from previous fat projects (which shrank significantly, but never left) has begun to grow at an alarming rate.

It's strange, but I like it. It's good to be going in the right direction again.

Follow along as the sasquatch transforms himself from flabby freak to a still flabby but slightly smaller freak. The numbers and stats of his endeavor are located here.

No comments: