Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Black Dog

I ran over a dog today. No, I wasn't outside running. I was driving. I was on my way back from the grocery store and a big, black sheepdog ran out in front of my car as I cruised down the road. I slammed on the breaks. I squealed my tires. I swore. I felt the right side of my car rise up as it went over the dog's body.

I heard it cry out.

I sat in the road for a few seconds and waited for my breath to catch up with me. Then I got out of the car to investigate. I checked all four wheels, but there was no dog. I searched under the car and around it on both sides of the street. No dog. I got back in the car and reversed a full ten yards. Still no dog. I parked and looked around for a few minutes. There was nothing; no mark on my car, no spot on the road, no dead body lying in the gutter. No dog.

So I got back in my car and drove home. I don't know what happened to it, but that must have been one damn resilient dog.

No comments: