Thursday, October 20, 2005

Book Snob

Time Magazine came out with a list of the top 100 greatest English language novels since 1923. Why they chose 1923 is beyond me. But hey! I love lists. Here are the books I’ve read:

Books I have read:
An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Beloved - Toni Morrison
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess (the movie sucked)
The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas “I hate cameras” Pynchon
The Grapes of Wrath - John “Fucking” Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrboe - C-Live Staples. Lewis
The Lord of the Flies - William Golding
The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tokein (it’s three books, dammit!)
Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf (yes, I AM afraid of her)
1984 - George Orwell
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest - Ken Kesey
The Painted Bird - Jerzy Kosinski
Ragtime - E.L. Doctorow (hells yeah, this book kicks ASS)
Slaughterhouse-Five - “My Man” Kurt Vonnegut
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston (I did my senior english project on her in high school. She makes Toni Morrison and Alice Walker look like schoolchildren. But she was Harlem Rennaisance, so that goes without saying.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee


Books that are currently on my shelf, waiting to be read:
American Pastoral - Philip Roth
The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thornton Wilder (I hear this is AMAZING)
Gravity’s Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

Books that should have been on the list:
The Razor’s Edge - W. Sommerset Maugham
Babbit - Sinclair Lewis
Main Street - Sinclair Lewis
Ulysses - James Joyce (given college professor’s abject love of him you’d think he would be a shoe-in)

Books that should have receieved honorable mention
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
Watership Down - Richard Adams

2 comments:

Sean said...

I actually still use some of the made up words from Watership Down. Mainly Tharn, which is what happens when you're caught in the glow of the headlights.

The Sasquatch said...

I thought about naming my ex-girlfriend Tharn. It would have been apt.