Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Good Moment

I can't sleep. I heard this quote today on television, just after I finished eating dinner: "Insomnia is a cruel mistress." Ain't that the truth. I don't have much to say, so I'll leave you with this...

Not too long ago I found myself riding in a car along with Nate, Katie, and Junior. Nate was driving his Explorer with his chair leaned back as far as it would go. Junior rode shotgun with his arm resting on the open window. Katie smiled next to me in the backseat. It was her birthday, so she was happy. The windows were down, it was late at night, the wind blew in my face as Nate pushed his truck up close to 85 miles per hour along the highways of Columbus. “Razor” by the Foo Fighters blasted through the radio, the amplified bass accentuating the sounds of the passing road. We were on the way to meet Abbie and Mechele at a bar in Grandview. We would have fun when we got there. But for that moment, each of us sat with the wind in our faces, sticking out hands outside, trying to catch the last bit of summer before it slowly slipped away. Nobody said anything, and the moment passed almost before it had started. But it was a good moment. And I hope to remember it. For a while at least.

No comments: