Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Meaning of Life

A friend of mine, after reading a previous post where I raved about my old friends and their musical accolades, asked me what kind a musician I am if I used to play with people of such caliber. The strict answer to that question is, not much. Oh sure. I was a kick ass trumpet player in high school, but that’s like trying to hit on the hot chicks with the line “I had the coolest match box car collection of all my friends when I was 5 years old.” It just makes you look lame. While I have several fond memories from high school (more than the average person, I think…and I am thankful for that), I don’t hold those years on a pedestal. And I certainly do not consider myself anywhere near as good as either of my two friends. I may have been able to do something musically if I’d kept up with it. But I still don’t believe I’d be anywhere near as good. The difference between them and me is that they have a passion for playing good music whereas I enjoyed playing, but hating practicing. I would have given up long ago.

So when I say that I sometimes wish I had kept up with the whole music thing, I don’ really mean it. What I mean to say is that I wish I had done something more useful with my time other than eat pizza and watch stupid movies.

And I’ve seen a lot of stupid movies. Hoo boy.

* * * *

And now, a quote:
"I do, indeed, suck; and greatly so." - The Sasquatch, in response to a philosophy professor who asked him for a concise summary of C.S. Lewis' book, "The Problem of Pain."

No comments: